I asked her a few questions.....Here they are, for those of you who are curious about Pilates.
- What is Pilates? : Pilates[PIH-LAH-TEEZ] is a full body system of specific sequenced exercise, performed on the mat, and on spring driven machines more aptly called the apparatus. Pilates exercises are designed to Strengthen, Stretch and Stabilize.
- What are the benefits of Pilates? Benefits are innumerable and varied........it improves core strength, flexibility and stamina. More importantly it realigns the body thus improving posture and gets rid of hidden weaknesses. It is also great for rehabilitation and prevention of injuries.
- How many times a week do I need to do Pilates? Ideally,2-3 times a week for about 45mins -1 hr OR as little as 10 mins 3-4 times a week.
- Can a person lose weight by doing Pilates? Certainly, in 10 sessions you'll start feeling the difference, in 20 you'll see a difference and in 30 you'll have a totally new body. It's a Pilates promise.
- Who can use this method of exercise? Just about anyone from 12yrs and above.
- Will I develop big bulky muscles with Pilates? No.Only lean, toned muscles.
Model Fitness: Lorie Baker's Pilates Routine
Geeta Wagh is a Pilates instructor in NJ and comes from a fitness family in India. Her family has been instrumental in "reshaping" the young and the old alike at their state of the art gyms at Talwalkars.com.